2009-05-28

The Journey So Far...



Buying the 1000D has been a good learning experience for me. Going from just plain point and shoot camera to DSLR camera has really opened up a new world to me. DSLR realm is really about unlimited possibilities with only the sky as the limit..Hahaha. Well, literally speaking, I can reach the moon through the zoom lens, so I think it still limitless when it comes to photography. If anything, it’s all depend on your creativity and imagination on using the tools at hand. As the saying goes, it’s the man behind the camera that matters.

Speaking about the man, I’m still learning the curves with my entry level DSLR camera. It’s a mixture of satisfaction and frustration throughout the learning process and I still have a long way to go. Brought it along for several outings and the pictures have been mixture of sharp and blurry images here and there. I think it’s acceptable for any newbie, as it’s all about trial and error whenever handling one of these toys. By that time, I already bought the 55-250mm IS and 50mm f/1.8 II lens to add to my collection. The prime lens is sharp and I have no problem with it. The zoom lens is just an extension to my 18-55mm IS standard kit lens so the built and picture quality is more or less the same.

Earlier on, the basic manual book does come in handy as a starter to learn about the camera functions and settings. On paper, everything looks simple and easy with all the dedicated buttons and settings for whatever you wanted it to do. Reading magazines and surfing through the many photography community and forums online have given me more knowledge and confidence on what my beginner’s DSLR camera can do. Yet it felt so miserably agonizing at most of the times when getting some poor quality pictures when you expected otherwise with all the settings correctly done. Not satisfied with it, I was in dilemma as whether to keep it or moved on to a higher spec and different brand, the Nikon D90. At one time, convinced that it wasn’t good enough, I posted it for sale online.

Well, I actually got a buyer, but the deal turned sour when he backed off the last minute. The reason being he claimed due to the sudden drop in camera and lens prices, he could get a better camera and lens package with the same price that we agreed upon before. Just not meant to be I think. As bad as it sound, the guy did come back for the bargain again but only after I already sold my Canon 55-250mm IS to a lucky lady. Lucky her, pity him because my offer was really good for the entire three lens combo (after more discount la).

After that, someone did offer to buy the body only but the price was too low so I decided to keep it though I was thinking to buy the 40D body as an alternative after the sale. It’s an old model yet it’s a semi-pro model, better than the 1000D (on spec wise). But nothing materialized also and everything went slow motion for me with my photography quest until my other closest friends started getting interested in photography also. They are into Nikon D90 and D5000. It’s a great feeling having your closest friends also sharing the same interest as you and the recent outing has rekindled my old flame for photography. I’m getting excited again and I’m planning to endure this journey this time with a clearer mindset.

I know what I was lacking in the past and what I’ve been missing all this time fooling around about the small petty stuffs. Photography should be fun and unrestricted. It doesn’t really matter what brand or model that you have in taking the pictures, it’s what you are doing with your camera to get the desired pictures that counts. Again, it’s the man behind that matters. So, stop complaining, go out and start shooting la!...Hahaha.

I guess I’ll be keeping the 1000D for a while until I feel restricted by its limitations and move on to higher level once my need is there. One thing that I learned also is that buying an expensive camera body doesn’t always guarantee sharp pictures. It’s the lens that matters the most. An expensive Canon L lens on my 1000D body would be something interesting to behold with.. That would be the ultimate setting for it..For now, I guess I have to buy myself a new 55-250mm IS again … Matai start gila balik suda ni…Hahaha.

No comments: