2009-07-11

One Cheap Lens but It's a Keeper...



Cheerss...

After my recent sale-upgrade, I've been left with only one lens to play with my new Canon 40D body. Well, would have been able to squeeze in the 18-55mm IS kit lens during the buy but somehow maybe my brain was tired of getting mix up feelings again about jumping ship into the Nikon system, I totally missed out on the point that I could get it for only extra RM200 as standard kit package...Damn. The truth is with my initial budget RM3000-4000 (cash), I was aiming for the Nikon D5000 due to its similarities to D90. But then after being poisoned by the shop's taukeh cum so called camera expert (he talked a lot as if he knows everything), I was forced to decide between D90 and 40D. It's a decision between latest very high end entry level Nikon camera and the seasoned semi-pro level Canon camera. I most probably would have straight away chosen the D90(offer RM4100 including freebies) if it wasn't because of my need for a flashgun as well which was totally out of my budget and the pro over entry level body logic finally made me decided to stay with the Canon 40D body (RM3000) plus 4GB CF Extreme memory card (RM150) and a Sunpak P242X (RM600).

Now, if I want to buy the kit lens alone, it would cost me around RM600-700 new...Damn again. But then again, maybe I don't need it anymore. My past experience with the budget lens has thought me what kind of things that I actually need in my arsenal to get the kind of pictures that I want. I want SHARP images and that means better lens. I'm not saying that the budget lens is bad as the pictures coming out from my previous 1000D kit lens were decent enough to my satisfaction in those days. It's only that I think it's natural that as you go deeper into your tools, you'll start discovering and wanting more things eventually.

Enough said on that wasted opportunity buy, let's go back to this one lens that I've bought since my early venture into this DSLR realm and permanently stucked on my new Canon 40D now.Well, at least until I've enough money to fund for new better lens that is.. Hahaha. It's the cheap(RM300 only) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II prime lens which easily became my favourite lens since day one due its spot on sharp images and really nice bokeh effect when stopped down to f/1.8. Its the lens that made me wanted to explore more into portraiture photography. I can't say enough good things about this lens here and I was more that happy when I stumbled upon this great article summarizing all the wonderful features about this lens. Check it out here guys.



p/s : WOW!!!This lens also can be used for macro photography..2 in 1,it's a real keeper!!!

2 comments:

cicak said...

Thanks for the links bro!

40D vs D90!
It is sure hard to decide! Aisehmen. You know, if the shop has the D80 or even the D60, I would have bought em instead.
Maybe my destiny is with Canon. LOL.
Actually, I would like to try all of the brands available and currently Olympus is looking yummy.

But that is after I'm sure I am already 100% with my current 450D. Right now, not even 10%!
So, for the time being, I gave that thought a rest dulu lah.

I never knew the nifty-fifty has more qualities, other than it being a fast lens and giving yummy bokeh. I did'nt know one can reverse it to shoot macro! Ada kah ko nampak reversing ring dia kana jual? Yes, for Canon. Nanti kasi tau ah. :P

CM said...

Hahaha.. I'm still going back in circle with these brand thing..adeii.
If I'm filthy rich, I would buy all the camera brands available just to satisfy my curiosity.. Hahaha.

Upgrading from kit lens is more to do with doing 'justice' on the new semi-pro body, though I think my requirement for sharp image is just simply for
my personal satisfaction only but currently still cannot pass the need & want confusion ..hahaha. That's another story to tell later on.

Apparently, my friend has already tried the macro capabilities on the 50mm and the results really fantastic.
Will get more info on this and update here once i got it.. :)